Is there a need to grow one’s own food?
Is it even possible?
Recently, Delhi High Court declared the city’s fruit and vegetables unfit for humans. Delhi’s citizens are consuming pesticides every day – this is common knowledge.
What are our alternatives? Expensive ‘organic’ produce? Not necessarily. A number of Delhiites have begun getting their hands dirty and growing food on terraces, balconies and what used to be lawns. From supplementing the salad bowl to cutting vegetable costs by half, homegrown produce is making its way onto people’s dinner plates and reconnectomg people to nature and food.
We will discuss the methods used in urban farming applying permaculture to make it more sustainable and holistic.
With permaculture principle we can design, develop our urban spaces systematically and holistically to grow our fresh organic vegetables and fruits and make it sustainable and resilient with correct approach to our soil, water and overall environment.
‘Permaculture’ can stand for ‘permanent agriculture’ or ‘permanent culture’. It signifies a way of living lightly on the planet to ensure we can sustain human life in the present and for the future. As such, permaculture design is a method of landscape planning that can be applied to anything, from a roof top garden or farm to a city colony or entire village. ‘Permanence’ doesn’t imply that everything needs to remain the same. It’s about stability, self-reliance and living in harmony with the timeless rhythms of nature. To achieve the goals of permaculture, we try to observe, understand and mimic patterns in nature, for when nature is left to itself it creates regenerative, bio-diverse and abundant systems, just like the forest.
What this workshop will cover:
This workshop will introduce you to the principles, ethics and methods of permaculture and its applications for the urban kitchen gardener/ Farm owner. In a practical fashion you will learn how to map and design a space and grow your own food organically and ecologically sustainable and reduce burden on environment
1. Introduction to Permaculture
• Overview of History & Ethics of permaculture
• Understanding of Permaculture
• Principle/ Methods of Design/ Zone and sector analysis
• Overview of natural patterns and patterns in Design
2. Growing Food, self sufficiency
• Gardening at home scale, on farm land
• Basic of soil regeneration, mulching
• About multi cropping, intercropping, companion planting
• Integrated pest management
• Seed Saving
• Basic of composting,
• Basic farm design skill and Initial design for their own individual spaces
• Practical tools and Design activities(Hands on)
3. Efficient use of Water and available natural resources
• Watering technique to use water efficiently
• About Drip irrigation
• Rain Water Harvesting
4. Roles of Trees, Bio Diversity
• About bio diversity in urban scenario
• Micro climate and ecological balance
• Roles of trees
• Food Forest
5. Community Building
• Roles of community in creating a sustainable food system which is economically/environmentally sound and socially just.
• Importance of community food gardens
• Waste management
Date: Saturday and Sunday, 22nd-23rd September
Time: 10 am – 04 pm
Cost: 2500 INR (plus 18% GST)
Early Bird discount: 2200 INR (plus 18% GST)(Before 8th September)
Venue: Farm 8, Phase 5, Aya Nagar Ext. near Mother Mary School
Google Map Link: https://goo.gl/wJrcVx
Please register here:
Any queries? Contact us here:
AMOUNTS PAID TOWARDS ANY OF OUR WORKSHOPS ARE TRANSFERABLE TO ANY OTHER WORKSHOP WITHIN 6 MONTH